School has started.
I’m back. In school. Again. Not sure if I am supposed to be happy or scared out of my mind.
I’ve only been in class (3 out of 4 of them) for 1 day. But here’s my first impression:
- I am old as dirt. I don’t know who has been telling me that 35 is the new 25, but that does not hold true in college. These “kids” gasp when they hear my age. “Do you actually have children?” “OMG, You are totally the MOM of our group.” I now tremble in fear whenever we have to introduce ourselves.
- Pronouns are the new thing when introducing yourself. Yes, I know the world is changing. I’m actually in support of change. But if you call me a he, rather than she, I will not flog you in front of fellow classmates. I just don’t care. Call me whatever you want. Except Ma’am. I may get violent over that one. I don’t mind being mistaken for a man, but you indicate in ANY WAY my age, I will harm you.
- I’m in WAY over my head!!! One of my professors actually told us the classroom is open 24 hours. You could literally sleep there while studying. And people have. “Oh yea, we’ve stayed here studying until 3 a.m.” Crap. I have 3 kids, a husband and a house. I CANNOT DO THAT. “Sorry kids, Mommy is leaving for a year. She’s living on campus so her life is easier. The end.” I never thought I would say this, but I’m so jealous of the people who get to live on campus. Yeah, maybe you can’t drink alcohol in your room, while watching Netflix (which is my big plan for the night), but there are so many benefits! It takes me an hour in the morning to get there, due to traffic. My car alternator died. I barely made it home. If I forget something at home, I’m screwed. If I have a girl emergency, I can just run back to my room and still make it to class on time.
- I was so worried about dressing well for class, until I arrived, I realized I was the only one. I know I’m pretty lax when it comes to putting on pants and when it’s appropriate, but to school? Although, I will no longer be concerned about wearing makeup or brushing my hair. I really want to fit in.
- I remembered how awful it is to work in groups and how much college is REALLY into that. Damn. Can’t I just get through some part of life without being forced to discuss shit with a random stranger? I haven’t been in school in years, I’m pretty sure my life experience isn’t really relevant. I used a cartoon for an example today. Seriously. A cartoon. I will not go into detail because I was ashamed. But damn.
I will say this, I’m actually pretty pumped for my classes. Two of the three have some potential to be awesome. The fourth, I won’t get into until Monday.
Now, time for my homework. I have to finish mine so I can help the kids with theirs.
And yes, I realize I may be showing my age by using the Teen Witch Gif. I don’t care. Still love that movie and that’s the song in my head when I walk through the school.